Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Untethered by Katie Hayoz

Untethered by Katie Hayoz
Age Group: Pre-teen/YA
Pages: 352
Publication Date: May 14, 2015

Sylvie isn’t comfortable in her own skin. In fact, there are times she can’t even manage to stay inside it. But if there is one thing she’s sure of, it’s her love for Kevin Phillips. She’s willing to stake everything on it –her family, her friends, and possibly her soul.

Sixteen-year-old Sylvie has been best friends with Cassie forever. But everything is turned around when the boy Sylvie’s loved since fifth grade falls for Cassie. Devastated, Sylvie intends to get Kevin by any means possible, even if it involves treachery, deceit, and the dark side of astral projection. She is positive her plans will give her what she wants, but she doesn’t count on it all spiraling out of control.

I was drawn to this book because of the uniqueness of the plot.  It seems that most young adult fiction lately is about paranormal creatures, dystopian worlds, or high school drama, so the fact that it was about something as unique as astral projecting made me excited to read the novel. The book itself is an easy read, even at three hundred and fifty pages I never felt that I was forcing myself to continue.  The book had an easy reading level that I think preteen and teens can enjoy.  

That being said, those who do not have the patients to read from a young teen girls point of view may get easily annoyed with the character.  Sylvie, as a character, can be self-centered and obnoxious at times.  She is often preoccupied and
obsessed with things that are very trivial, which some readers could find frustrating.  For me, however, I felt that Sylvie was a typical teenaged girl (give or take a few bad choices).  I think the author did a great job of portraying teen girls as they really are; dramatic, preoccupied with trivial things, and sometimes short-sighted.

Overall, I think that the author did a great job of creating a story that many ages can read and enjoy.  The book has such a unique plot that I would definitely recommend giving  the book a chance even if it is not your normal genre of book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment